Thursday, November 23, 2023

A Skill for the 21st Century: Problem Solving by Richard Rusczyk

Does our approach to teaching math fail even the smartest kids ? 

Quotes from that article  "According to research from the University of California, Los Angeles, as many as 60 percent of all college students who intend to study a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) subject end up transferring out. In an era when politicians and educators are beside themselves with worry over American students’ lagging math and science scores compared to the whiz kids of Shanghai and Japan, this attrition trend so troubles experts it has spawned an entire field of research on “STEM drop-out,” citing reasons from gender and race to GPAs and peer relationships."


A Skill for the 21st Century: Problem Solving by Richard Rusczyk, founder of  "Art of Problem Solving".

Top 10 Skills We Wish Were Taught at School, But Usually Aren't 
from Lifehacker

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I have been using your blog for a while now and it has helped tremendously for MathCounts. Thank you very much for spending your time to make it.

    I have a few questions, if you don't care to answer them :)
    1. Have you used any of the Art of Problem Solving Books? How did you like them? I've only used Volume I and I'm wondering how the others are.

    2. Do you know where older MathCounts Nationals tests are? I found the place with the tests for sale but it only goes a little while back.

    Thank you very much and I really appreciate how much you have helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave a comment, including your e-mail address so that I can contact you in private.
    The post will be read by me only and I won't share your e-mail address here unless you
    don't mind. (still better not)
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking website has been quite helpful. Thank you so very much for this valuable information on your web page and good luck. AMC 8 problems

    ReplyDelete